The Professor Welshman Ncube led MDC has called for applications for potential candidates for the next general election barring individuals with less than five years as party members from contesting in the primary elections.
In a statement released by the party today, the call is for council, House of Assembly and Senate election candidates. Secretary General, Priscilla Misihairabwi Mushonga said the applications should be submitted to provincial chairpersons before the deadline.
The closing date is February 14 at 1600hrs.
“Aspiring candidates should have been party members for a period of not less than five years, submit education qualifications and produce membership cards for verification,” Mushonga said in the statement.
“According to the party’s constitution, candidates should also be fully paid party members, registered voters, not have a criminal record leading to imprisonment of six months or more without the option of a fine and should be competent and solvent.”
Meanwhile, MDC-T continues to be marred by chaos as the party’s Youth Assembly demands representation within the party amid reports of a confirmation exercise for sitting MPs.
The party’s national executive and national council last year agreed to a resolution to confirm sitting MPs, a move that has been described as a way of blocking any contestation during primary elections.
MDC-T youths this week demanded that the party set aside a quota for them in the parliamentary elections expected to be held this year. MDC-T spokesperson Douglas Mwonzora says the party will not adopt a quota system urging the youths to fight for seats in parliament.